Community Welcome House Meets The Challenge Goal!
Thank you Newnan and Coweta County! With your help and support, we were able to reach the goal of $30,000 by June 30th…and even surpass it! Since we raised the $30,000 by the deadline date, the local foundation was able to send their $30,000 to us. This is an amazing effort by the community and we thank you all for your help!
Looking to Get Involved?
- Volunteer at the house or our resale store, New Beginnings. Volunteers can be individuals looking for an hour a week or more to make a difference or a church, work, or community volunteer project.
- To volunteer at the house, please contact Maureen or click the link above to volunteer.
- To volunteer at New Beginnings, please contact email@example.com or 770-683-8029.
- Donate food, clothing, household items, and furniture. All items for the house and the resale store can be taken to New Beginnings at 7 W. Washington in downtown, Newnan Monday-Saturday from 10am-5pm.
- Like us on Facebook at both Community Welcome House and New Beginnings at CWH to find more information on ways to volunteer and get involved.
Click FAQ for more information on our renovations last year.
Click Wish List to help us with items we need every day.
Community Welcome House serves as a transitional facility which provides shelter for women, and women with children, in need of shelter due to domestic violence. We understand healing begins when safety, stability, and trust are nurturing those in crisis. While in our care, we provide supportive services to best assist in regaining independence in hopes of realizing the future they desire. It is the hope of Community Welcome House that through education, compassion, and action women will become empowered to advance their roles, rights and well being. Read More
Domestic Violence begins in the home. Domestic violence is defined as a pattern of abusive behavior in any relationship that is used by one partner to gain or maintain power and control over another intimate partner. The abuse can be physical, sexual, emotional, economic, or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person.
- A woman is abused every 9-15 seconds.
- Three fourths of domestic violence victims are reported to have one or more children under the age of 18 years of age.
- 26% of murdered women are killed by their husbands or boyfriends.
- 30% of women in emergency rooms are there because of injuries from abuse.
- Medical expenses caused by domestic violence in the U.S. totals between 3-5 billion dollars annually.
- Children are present during 80% of the assaults against their mother.
- 25% of domestic violence victims are pregnant at the time of the abuse.
The three cycles of abuse are:
- Tension Building (slamming of doors, breaking of possessions, threats) victim tries to appease the batterer.
- Battering (physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse).
- Honeymoon Stage (Continued effort of power and control, batterer becomes loving and apologetic).